Digital Government APIs Quarterly Trends Report
Sign up to find out about new advances and best practices in digital government APIs
Our latest Trends Report series focuses on global digital government API ecosystems. Free forever for subscribers that sign up before March 2021.
At Platformable, we measure the growth of open ecosystems.
Digital governments around the world are working on using APIs to enable a new range of digital government products and services. Many of these are being delivered within government, by enabling APIs to allow faster service development across departments. But governments are also starting to open up APIs to third parties to enable new products and services to be built with government APIs as core ingredients. This work is just beginning.
Government roles with APIs
Platformable tracks the growth of government activity in leveraging APIs to create open ecosystems across four key government API roles:
- Governments make data available via APIs, such as weather APIs
- Governments create shared digital services APIs, such as identity verification services
- Governments release APIs through large data pipelines, such as with Internet of Things (IoT) data that can be used for real-time reporting or machine learning
- Governments set regulatory standards that may mandate the use of APIs.
Check out our recent Digital Government blog post content
See Platformable's work on Digital Government APIs
- Research leader on a literature review for European Commission on Digital Government API best practices
- Lead author of an evidence-based API Framework for Digital Government, published by the European Commission's Joint Research Centre
- Lead author of the Digital Government API Maturity Tool, published by the European Commission's Joint Research Centre
- Co-author of the Science for Policy APIs in Government study report, published by the European Commission's Joint Research Centre
- Co-author of Axway's Digital Government white paper: Better Governance, One API at a Time
- Runner-up prize winner in the EU Datathon 2020 for our Government API Dashboard